Jail Diversion Program
Jail Diversion for People with Mental Illness
Jail diversion programs are specifically designed to identify and divert individuals with mental illness and addictions from the criminal justice system into appropriate treatment within the mental health and addiction system. There are a variety of models of jail diversion programs in existence across the Ohio criminal justice system.
Support for Inmates, Offenders and Families
- Those close to the criminal justice system are screened for the presence of mental health disorders, addictions or other disabilities.
- Mental health professionals evaluate people in jail and work with prosecutors, defense attorneys, community-based mental health and addiction services and the courts to develop community-based mental health treatment for people with mental illness.
- The courts ultimately decide outcomes with jail liaisons and diversion staff working to find an alternative to prosecution, such as a reduction in charges or probation.
- Once disposition is decided on, the jail liaison or diversion staff links the person to community-based services which may include housing, employment, mental health services, addiction and health services.
Jail diversion programs also work with people returning to the community from prison. These programs carry names such as “community linkage” or “re- entry.” As with services that work with local jails, these programs focus on helping a person coming out of prison to get back on his or her feet. Staff works with these individuals to obtain housing, employment, mental health, health and addiction services and other support groups.
The following counties have programs that work with people in jail and prison. These telephone support services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Allen County: Call 1-800-567-4673
- Auglaize County: Call 1-800-567-4673
- Hardin County: Call 1-800-567-4673
- Portage County: Call 1-877-796-3555
- Stark County: Call 330-438-2400
- Trumbull County: Call 1-330-675-2599
Coleman’s Jail Liaison Service is available in the following counties:
Allen, Auglaize, Hardin, Portage, Stark, Trumbull